Recipe: Apple Tart Tatin
Kindly provided by Richard Potter, Red Hen Cookery
At this time of year with the darkening nights and distant summer sun, most people need a pick me up, and some good seasonal cooking is surely the best remedy! With Halloween and bonfire night on its way there are plenty of sweet edible treats for the kids, but what about something a bit more grown up? So here is a great recipe for Tart Tatin, with its sweet buttery caramel, juicy apples and crisp pastry this is a much prized dessert and rightly so, it’s like a toffee apple, but for grownups!
- 7 apples: Ideally firm and crisp eaters, Russets are perfect for this, such as Egremont or Ashmeads Kernel
- 200g golden caster sugar
- 50g butter
- 175g ready-made puff pastry
- Peel, halve and core the apples, then put in the fridge, uncovered, for 24 hours. Don’t worry about any discolouration.
- Put the sugar into a 20cm heavy-based ovenproof frying pan along with 50ml water and leave to soak for a couple of minutes, then cook over a medium heat until golden and fudgy. Take off the heat and stir in the butter, and a pinch of salt, until well combined. Then carefully arrange the apples in the pan, round-side down, bearing in mind the caramel will be very hot, and put back on the heat – you may need to cut some of the apples into smaller pieces to fill in the gaps. Cook for 5 minutes, then take off the heat and allow to cool completely.
- Pre-heat the oven to 200C. Roll out the pastry to 5mm thick, and cut out a circle slightly larger than your pan. Put back into the fridge to rest for a few minutes.
- Put the pastry on top of the pan and tuck in the edges around the fruit. Bake for about 30 minutes until the pastry is golden, then remove from the oven. Allow to cool for 5 minutes, then place a plate, slightly larger than the pan, on top and then, very carefully, using oven gloves, invert the tart on to the plate. Best served warm, with vanilla ice cream or lightly whipped cream.
Red Hen Cookery offers cookery courses. Why not take a look at www.redhencookery.co.uk or give them a call on 01905 422997